INDIA STUDIES UNIT
India Studies Unit (ISU) is an initiative for Interdisciplinary Research in CESS which is dedicated to work as a center that organises and facilitates research in the Social Sciences and Humanities to address issues related to Indian culture. ISU aims at generating and supporting a world-class research culture and functions with a vision to reinvigorating intellectual traditions which are rooted in Indian thoughts for the contemporary world.
Our goal is to build a community of scholars who can produce knowledge about various aspects of Indian traditions by developing theories, tools and methods, which will eventually be reflected through publications, policy advocacy, capacity building programs etc.
To achieve this, we have a team of faculty members, doctoral and post-doctoral level research scholars who collaborate with scholars in different areas of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Foreword by M.S. Chaitra to a compilation of translated stories in English called “Trans - Tales 2: Anthology of Translated Stories from Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi”
- Workshop in May 2020, “Rethinking India and her traditions: Novel Methodological Possibilities” - Organized by CESS, Shodh, University of Delhi & ICSSR
- Discussion in May 2020, “Exploring New Vistas in Social Sciences and Humanities” Part 1: Conversation with select faculty members from Social Science and Humanities
- FDP Programme in August 2020: A weeklong Faculty Development Programme for Social Science & Humanities college teachers - Organized by CESS & KLE Society, Gadag. M.S. Chaitra and Ashwini B. Desai participated as resource persons.
- Discussion in October 2020, “Exploring New Vistas in Social Sciences and Humanities” Part 2: Conversation with select faculty members from Social Science and Humanities.
Talks & Webinars:
- Video: On Lingayat 'religion'- Lingayataraddu bere religion endu Basava tatva heluttadeye? M S Chaitra on Samvada.org
- Video: On Corona and western media - Corona- Pashatya madhyamagaligeke poorvagraha? M S Chaitra On Samvada.org
- Video: On Tablighi crisis- Muslimarannu doorodu beda, M S Chaitra on Samvada.org
- Webinar on Public Space Design post COVID-19 | Influencing Space Design 1.0 Organized by Ivory Sense
- Webinar on Aryan Invasion: Karnataka antarjaala upanyasa maale; "Aryara Akramana, Satyatyate Enu? Organized by Prajna Pravaha
- Webinar: An exploration into S N Balagangadhara's thought- One of the panellists was M S Chaitra; Organized by Indic Academy
- Webinar: Virus Vaccination & Vulnerability: Seeking Solutions Safety & Subsequent Path organized by Prabuddha Bharat
- Webinar: On the works of Shri Dharampal Organized by Mythic Society
- Webinar: On Islamic Colonialism, Organized by South India Studies.
- A Talk on Biodiversity Conservation: Strategies & Significance organized by Samartha Bharata.
- The first session of discussion series with some select students from Center for South India Studies on Research Methodology in Social Sciences & Humanities.
- Talk by M.S. Chaitra on “Environment Conservation and Development” organized online by Anantkumar Pratishtana
- Talk by M.S. Chaitra during an FDP on “Colonialism, Colonial Consciousness and Human Sciences” conducted online by Mizoram Central University.
- Talk by M.S. Chaitra on “The Bhagavadgita and the Problems of Translation” conducted online by Kuvempu Bhasha Bharati Pradhikara.